View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Ok quick rewind to the first evening's ride to OBX. We stopped in a Burger King for some quick food in Elizabethtown, NC. I inadvertently knocked a completely full cup of coke directly on she-Bandy. She took it well, but she was down a pair of jeans and the trip had barely started.

Anyways, back to day 2 and Ocracoke. Here's a shot after brunch of Bandy adjusting some gear at a hardware store. I needed some more nuts and bolts for the KLR (any guesses why?)

We left Ocracoke after brunch (we all agreed we should have spent more time on Ocracoke) and caught the second short 30 min ferry to Cape Hatteras. I've got a video of riding off the ferry I'm working on getting on Youtube. One suggestion for this ferry is to get on the port side (left) of the boat, You'll be in the shade of the control tower which is nice since A) its really hot B) this ferry is smaller and a rougher ride and you have to hold your bike up the whole ride because of the risk of tip overs, this keeps you from hanging out in the lounge like the first ferry.

We climbed up a dune to check out the beach on Cape Hatteras. You can see the Pamlico Sound in the background.

We didn't stay long on Cape Hatteras. We didn't see much to do besides hanging out on the beach and seeing the light house. We were planning to check out the Rodanthe pier, but totally drove past it and didn't feel like turning around. The fact that it was pretty damn hot all weekend kept us riding on the bikes a lot.

We found out that the rules for driving on the beach on Ocracoke and Cape Hatteras have changed. Its a $50 fee for a week long pass to drive on the beach, and motorcycles are specifically not allowed.

I think this is because they haven't taken the time to differentiate between Dual Sports and dirt bikes. Understandably they don't want dirt bikes and ATVs on the beach. So that was disappointing. We had to wait until the last day up in Corolla to be able to get the bikes on the beach.

So we made our way up to South Nags Head to Oregon Inlet campground. It was late afternoon, made camp, got some food, checked out Nags Head and went to bed. We considered calling the cops on the kids playing "asshole" until 2 am 2 tents down, but it didn't matter because no one could sleep anyways because of the heat and no breeze. We almost joined them.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote