View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Good morning from Deadwood, SD!

We rolled over to Sturgis for breakfast and to check out the toys at Sturgis Motorsports-

Sturgis was really really quiet. Guess other than during the big rally not much goes on there?

Kristhawee has never been in a cave, and the Black Hills is full of them. Talked to a number of other travelers about which is best, and was advised that Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument are over run with tourists this time of year and sometimes there are so many people you can't even get in to the caves... Well, that doesn't sound like my idea of a good time But a few people mentioned Wonderland Cave as a cool alternative that is a lot less crowded. Wonderland it is!

It's a short pleasant ride to Nemo and the final mile or so of road is dirt with steep grades and in really rough shape- not my idea of a good time on the big LT, but we made it!

You can only enter the cave with a guide, smart I guess since to this day they still don't know where the cave ends- it's that big! Our guide was a really cutie too, college student working at the cave over her summer holiday.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat before our tour started-

The entrance (not my pic)

Down we go- it was a pretty hot day, but nice and cool in the cave.

No crowds here- It was just us and one other couple! Krsthawee is diggin it!

They leave the lights on which has allowed ferns and moss to grow-

Formations found in Wonderland Cave include Stalactites, Stalagmites, Dogtooth Spar Crystals, Column Formations, Helictites, Lobulites, better known as Popcorn Crystal and frost Crystals. Calcite Lily Pads, Ribbon Stalactites, Boxwork Crystals, Flowstone and many more.

This is a "living" cave, which means that most of the formations are still growing.

Pretty hard to capture the colors with my simple point and shoot camera, but suffice to say, it was quite impressive!

Hands-on geology- touching flowstone

Some quite strange and rare formations-

Kristhawee in Wonderland Cave, Black Hills, South Dakota!

200+ steps to get out

Bye bye Wonderland Cave!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote