View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #41
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 829
The Black Hills were fantastic but it was time to press on if we were going to meet our friends at Yellowstone National Park.

My son wanted to go for a swim before we left, so we got on the road rather late.

From our campground in Deadwood to the campground I was aiming for on Highway 16 in the Bighorn Mountains was only about 240 miles.

I figured even with our late departure that it would be a piece of cake.

Riding west from Deadwood and Lead we passed the "Presidents Park".

Then we hit the fantastic Spearfish Canyon Scenic Highway (US 14)

Lots of other bikes out and about-

This is the kind of road that really makes you want to crack the throttle. Have to be careful though- don't really want to get pulled over for speeding with my 5 year old son on the back...

Zoom zoom!

I'm trying to keep it close to the posted speed limit of 45 and there are a lot of sport bikes blasting past me in both directions, so I HOPE that any popo will go after the speeding crotch rockets and ignore the BMW Land Yacht

There's not much of a shoulder and in many places it's thick forest right up to the edge of the road, so I do worry a bit about deer and keep the brakes covered.

Amazing scenery-

The big K1200LT Land Yacht handles these fast sweepers with aplomb and I'm thinking to myself that this wouldn't have been nearly as much fun on a Goldwing...

Would have been nice to stop and take a dip in the Spearfish River, but we'd left camp a bit late and needed to keep going if we were going to reach the Bighorn Mountains by a decent hour.

Wow, what a road!

Little interesting factoid- Spearfish Canyon is where they filmed the final scenes in the epic movie "Dances with Wolves".

Zoomin'

Got stuck briefly behind a tractor... ;)

Dunno if I made them nervous or something, but they almost wiped out on the gentlest of curves...

We reach the end of Spearfish Canyon all too soon, roll through the cute little town of Spearfish, and jump on the I90 Interstate headed West.

It's starting to get a bit warm- It's actually 11:49 am (I haven't adjusted the bike's clock for Mountain Time yet)

Welcome to Wyoming!!!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 12:43 AM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote