View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #42
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 814
It's getting hotter and the wind is picking up... I didn't think a big heavy bike like a K1200LT would be affected so much by the wind, but we were getting blown all over the place and I had some white knuckle moments when passing or being passed by large trucks.

Finally, after about 40 or 50 miles of this crazy wind I decided to get off the interstate, so we took the 14/16 which will reconnect with the interstate in Buffalo, WY

It's still very hot-

There is nothing out here except coal mines (couldn't see the actual mines, but could see the huge clouds of black dust that the diggers and dump trucks kick up), gas and oil mines, and cattle-

Miles and miles of nothing-

I was thinking to myself that this would be a terrible place to break down or run into bad weather- we went for many miles without seeing another vehicle or inhabited building.

Looks like we might get wet...

We ride on and on and it's still hot and windy and I know that my little guy must need a break, though he's not complaining.

Finally I spot a little roadside watering hole, like an oasis in a desert-

The Spotted Horse! (As you can see, it's still very very windy!)

We duck inside and it's like a place lost in time- a couple of old timers at one table and what I guess to be a father and son at the bar.

Gotta love the signs above the bar- "Drink till she's cute" and "Life's too short to drink cheap beer" were a couple of my favorites

I ask the barkeep for a glass of water and she tells me, "We don't drink the water around here"...

What a strange and interesting place. Kristhawee took my camera and snapped these pictures-

Kristhawee even got a picture of me with The Duke himself! John Wayne!

Kristhawee and The Duke!

It was a good thing I'd topped off the gas back on the interstate because it was about 70 miles to the first little town (Clearmont) that had a gas station.

After we'd cooled off and chilled out for a while at the Spotted Horse we went back out into the wind and heat to press on to the mountains-
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 08:33 AM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote