View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 802
The Lake View campground on Meadowlark Lake in the Bighorn Mountain National Forest is beautiful!

We found a great spot in a tent-only area right next to the lake. Kristhawee helped me set up the tent-

This was a really cool spot- we were actually on a little island- we had to cross a couple small streams to get to this spot, and if you look closely at the picture above you can see a steam just behind the tent.

We got the tent set up just in time too because a small thunderstorm rolled in quite suddenly. No worries- we'll just chill in the tent until the rain passes.

Father and son

My son came up with this funny game that he calls the "Bison game" where we push against each other and see who has the strongest head. Believe it or not he wins a lot!

The rain has stopped, it's getting late, and the temperature is dropping fast-

I have to say a BIG BIG THANK YOU to the campground hosts, Don and Barb-

We arrived quite a bit later than I'd planned and I didn't have much in the way of food.

When I went to register and pay for the camp spot I asked Don where would be the nearest place to buy some food and he gave me a funny look and said probably the closest place would be all the way down in Ten Sleep, 20 miles away... Don's wife gave me a disapproving look and stated the obvious, "You don't have any food?!"

I was pretty beat and the idea of jumping back on the bike for a 40 mile grocery run did not sound like my idea of a good time, but gotta do what ya gotta do.

I went back to tell Kristhawee that we'd need to get back on the bike and we were just getting ready to go when Don came down in his truck with a big bag of food! Wow! He told us that another family had had to leave unexpectedly when one of their kids crashed on a bicycle and that they'd given all their extra food to Don and Barb as they left.

Don and Barb were kind enough to pass it along to us. Can't thank you enough for your kindness Don and Barb!!

I tell you, you meet the nicest people when you travel!

There was (and still is) a total fire ban in the Black Hills so we hadn't had a camp fire since our first night at Lake Vermillion. Don said it was no problem to have a fire here, so off we went to scavenge some wood. Seems my boy loves fire just as much as I do. I was a total pyro as a kid and I think my kid is a chip off the old block

We enjoyed hotdogs for dinner, courtesy of Don and Barb, and I had everything we needed to make smores for desert-

Full and looking a bit sleepy

One more smore before bed-

Our warm dry tent awaits-

Good night!!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote