View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #377
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I said 50-75, and with all the R&D I think 50 would be a good target rather than what they came up with!

They could have moved more towards the SE as a start, single exhaust and put $ into weight loss rather than 150 HP, no? The LC-8 was awesome, ten years ago! Look at development in their own EXCs and Husabergs as far as simplifing and weight loss. I'll bet the engine could drop 20lbs easily with new castings and SOHCs. It could also have dropped in displacement and made 100 HP too. A reinforced plastic subframe fuel tank fed thru a thin front tank would be a good start. Husaberg 70 degree style airfilter you don't need to dig thru 20 bolts top get out. I could go on but nobody would want less rotating engine mass and a 400ish lbs bike that was easier to service, right?

They targeted the brands I mentioned, but those brands don't build anything that interest me. The last thing on my list of wants is 150 HP, been there and don't need it. Useless numbers on a street/dirt machine.
It's odd that the asphalt&rubber article quoted a few posts back is still talking about the USA dealers meeting powerpoint and the 2014 1290 being the bike that will get the 19" front since FechFech's previous post quotes the German review saying that there will be a 1190 non-R with the 19" front.

If the Ducati/Triumph is the high hp target I'm surprised they didn't refocus the existing SMT into this new 1190 Adventure role and for the 21/18" R version have a smaller v-twin, less hp, weight loss as suggested above.

I get why you'd want 150hp, I just don't get why you'd want it on a 21"/18" equipped dual-sport bike.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 09:16 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote