View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #35
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
semaja2's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: South Australia
Oddometer: 241
Ride Report Day 1 and 2

Ok ok I feel like a school kid procrastinating on homework... but heres my first attempt at a ride report

We had a delayed start as my friend who was joining me was unwell and we delayed the trip by a day, so on the Sunday we left at 8am in the morning, a KLR650 and a BMW R1200GSA off for their first journey into the nomads land! After a day of tarmaq we finally reached Hawker and took the long way into the flinders to enjoy the first of many dirt roads to come.

Half way into the flinders I had the get changed in the middle of a look out as the quilt liner in my pants/jacket was now boiling me since it appears off road riding gets you quite worked out :P Arriving at Acraman camp site we set up camp and enjoyed our first "dehydrated" meals, which well cant say I will be buying that flavour again :P

Our next day was to consist of circling around flinders and then camping at Farina, we woke up to negative degree weather and the lovely flinders prevented the sun from heating the camp site up until about 9am... once we packed up we left heading to Parachilna for a amazing bacon and egg roll, we went through the Brachilna Gorge to reach Parachilna and had a amazing blast crossing some of our deepest water so far although it was probably just a few puddles to some :P

On the loop through the flinders I did however stall it in the middle of a water crossing, came around the corner saw the entire road covered in water and saw a car had gone around the side of it in a bit shallower water so thought I would follow through.... unfortunately since the idiots didn't move out of my way I couldn't power out of the water and BAM looking like a idiot in the middle of water :P

Arriving at Lyndhurst we saw the start of the dirt... nothing to be seen that way for miles! bit nervous to start doing 80kmph on the first but we quickly picked up pace to 100kmph, according to all reports from the people we met so far the Oonadatta had just been graded and was in perfect shape

We arrived at Farina for our second night, the temperature started to get colder and colder and there was no wood to be seen for miles, luckily some kind campers across from us donated a log to get us warm :) they pulled a chain saw out though and I thought I was done for... then i found out it was a electric battery powered chainsaw! it took 2 batteries to cut a small log!!

Once again we woke up to -2.5 degrees with ice on everything! However for now I will post the rest of the adventure later :)
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote