View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Success!!!

Rexbro, you are The Man! Hope you don't mind, but I took screen caps of your pics and added some circles to clarify what I did.

I opened the unit and pulled the small board that has the USB port attached.

Rather than remove the USB port, I tried a slight variation. I let my soldering iron get nice and hot and then held it against the 3 tabs, one at a time, where the circles are. The idea was to liquefy existing solder and allow it to re-join any cracks that might have developed. I could not see any even with my big magnifier, but thought it worth the effort.

Next I took a close look at the tabs on the bottom of the board that make contact to the main board.

What I found was that one or 2 of my tabs were slightly bent down. No way of knowing if it was far enough to cause contact to be lost, but I took a tiny jeweler's screwdriver and bent them all out so that they were just slightly higher than parallel to the board surface.

I then re-assembled and brought it to the computer, where I proceeded to hook up its power cord and USB cable. No sooner did I power it up than the computer recognized it, and sure enough, when I fired up mapsource, I was able to pull the tracks made during my last trip!

Thank you so much, Rexbro! __________________
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote