View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
Tls!

windypoint: thanks, that's not the first time i've heard that advice. i'll ride with the fear of death around every bend as i always do.

rtwpaul: yes, i was at 138 lbs. for everything i took on my canada test trip, including my riding gear. basically like having a passenger. i will cull some of the fluff for the SA trip. the real question is: to camp or not to camp. i know that i won't need to, as affordable accommodations will be available 99% of the time, but i LOVE to camp off the bike, and really think i would like that option on the road. i talked with dan, one of the motobrothers about this - he said they took camping gear, and out of several months only camped a few nights, and not because they HAD to but because they wanted to. admittedly, that's about 25 lbs. of luxury that one does not need. if i jettison the camping gear, i don't need the top box (or the weight of the top box.)

i felt really good about my setup on my canada test trip. i didn't feel like i was heavy, i got off road a bit, everything seemed pretty good. especially having the duffle, as i could lock the 3 boxes, throw the duffle on my back (backpack straps), grab the tank bag, and i had everything important, valuable, and that i needed for overnight on my person. this would be ideal for SA border crossing, etc. also, with my crappy back and neck, the duffle makes a pretty nice backrest (which i didn't foresee).

i'm a novice, and i'll take more crap than i need and learn that lesson the hard way. TLS! (take less shit!) is the ADV way. i'll get there eventually.

everything but the bike by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 01:09 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote