View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
As an alternative for rally jackets made in Europe i can give you all informations about KENNY hand made rallyjackets,
for more informations write to ma@worldwide-offroad-adventures.com
Thanks ItalRally! These are the Kenny jackets I had in mind, those are the perfect Dakar/long distance Rally dedicated jackets...

Now my only inhibition is that the races I can afford to run are only the smaller / Rally Lite series like the ones I mentioned above...

Factors for making me consider the lighter weight Sprint design are:

- smaller days / shorter liaisons: You spend more times in Specials in these events (hopefully, if they're done right) than a large Rally (Dakar, Heroes, Africa Eco etc). Starting time is rarely earlier than 6am, and in summer that;s around 17-20 degrees max.

- tighter riding course: Average speeds are around 50km/h, the European Rallies (I suppose they are very similar to the Italian MotoRally championship) have more of a cross country / enduro type terrain than flat out, 140km/h desert riding. From experience the best solution so far has been to wear an MX jersey over full body armor (I use the Acerbis Koerta suit), as witnessed also by photos from Albania / Sardegna etc... but that also means a water hydration backpack, and I currently carry all my tools in an enduro tool / bum bag. When you factor in the Leatt brace, things get really fussy

the reason I am considering a jacket instead of my current set-up is to get as much weight off me as possible, slip only the water bladder in the jacket, and I'm in the process of moving all my tools off my bum-bag and onto the bike... so, a jacket with 2-3 small pockets would be ideal: a phone, some gels and a pack of cigarettes.

And there you have it, it all comes down to the cigarettes

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Brodovitch screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 02:57 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote