View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #381
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,942
I probably should have taken more pics, but the route's pretty familiar to me. I've probably got a pic of everry DS I've owned in this spot:

Chuck (left) and Tori on the face of Chumstick:

The obligatory 'Tori Fall Down' pic:

I've got a 'Chuck Fall Down' pic too, but it doesn't seem to have loaded..... maybe later. The Saturday night thunderstorm started several fires, one out by Dryden, one up Number 1 Canyon which (as of last night) had about 30 houses under evacuation orders, and (looks like) one in the Mission Creek/Devil's Gulch area. We might get FR7100/Mission Creek reopened if the FS has to get firefighters in. Good news, bad news.

I had a great time, should have stayed Friday night too I guess. Sunday was cloudy and damp, and most people had packed up and left by noon, which was when the sun came back out.

1911fan

FIRE UPDATE:
Shamelessly cribbed off the WABDR thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
WABDR will likely be affected this week by the fires.

Lightning Strikes Sept 8-9 Wenatchee Valley

Above Wenatchee No 1 and No 2 Cyn are burning, 179 homes on Level 3 evacuation, flames visible from town. On the drive home from work I saw flames perhaps above Sand Cr- for those who do not know that is between Cashmere and 9712 that goes through Haney Mdw. As well I heard of a fire north of Hwy 2 in Williams Canyon near Dryden- not far from Nahahum and Chumstick.

Hopefully the fire involves the roaded and logged areas and leaves the old growth in Devils Gulch, above 9712 and Tronsen Ridge untouched. I logged in Sand Cr on Longview land in the 80s, there is a lot of doghair timber up there. Talk of '94 makes me queasy! In '94 I was helping evacuate friends in Cashmere by the Fairground and looked up at fire coming down Brender. The fire ran in 4 hrs from Tumwater, over Icicle Ridge, through Icicle (10 homes burned) over Wedge and across 97 (13 homes- poof, and a guy I knew stood on his roof and saved his home using a garden hose) up and across and down into the drainages such as Brender. That night, after a day of moving friends from various parts of the County out of the way of fire, I stood in Leavenworth and watched the old growth torch off across Icicle Ridge, Snow Cr, etc...

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 07:22 AM Reason: Fire Update
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote