09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Historical Texas Train Depot
History in a Pecan Shell
Lometa was born along the rails of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad in 1885 on the route connecting Lampasas with Abilene. The old Santa Fe Depot (c. 1910) sits today at the North end of town - awaiting restoration. This depot dated from 1910 - the year the Santa Fe connected Lometa with Eden, Texas.
The town had originally been called Montvale, but a change was made in 1886 when a post office was applied for. Lometa was made up of buildings moved from the town of Senterfitt - a town that had a reputation for wild times and unruly citizens. 200 acres of land were deeded to the town, which was platted May 17, 1886.
Lometa has served as a shipping point for cotton, wool, and mohair. Delaine sheep were imported from Germany in 1879 and are still raised in the area.
Lometa received telephone service in 1914 and the town incorporated in 1920. In 1919 the first oil well was drilled, but water was struck instead of oil or gas. Other attempts failed as well, and by 1938 the drillers had given up on this part of Texas.
The population in the mid to late 1920s was 1,000 to 1,500 people and in the 30s it dropped below 900. By the early 80s it had reached about 650 and has remained at that level ever since.
Like a good lover, a good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing.
Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas