View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Cool2 Day 11, Going to 3/4 of the road to the sun

Well up early for me and I try to get into the park before it gets Yellowstone style. The mudslide is still blocking the Going to the sun road and wasn't expected to be cleared until 1 or 2 PM so I drive as far as I can turn around then make a giant loop around to the other side of the park and grab the other half up to where its blocked. Picture bombing commencing...

I used a Butler map of Montana to send me on a tad longer route but well worth it around Orthop Lake. I pulled into Eureka Montana on my way there for gas not knowing I was so close to Canada. I wanted to swing up to Canada and get International Adventure Rider status but no Passport on me, I would be a lowly domestic Adventure rider for now.

I had started to think I was somewhat hardcore since numerous people thought I was crazy to do this trip on basically a 250 dirt bike. I saw a guy on a road bicycle getting something to drink wearing a Lucky Labrador riding jersey from Portland Oregon. I asked if he was from there and he said he was actually from Seattle. Wow I said you rode that all the way from Seattle. Nope he replied, from Virginia. WTF!! He flew out there and has been riding back for about 4 months now. He was just doing it to do it and loving every minute of it.

You hear that .......pshhhhhh that was my ego being deflated and a reality check. This guy has peddled his ass all the way from Virginia on a seat way smaller than my Wolfman fender bag and as hard as my tire. That guy was hardcore like a diamond and I was hardcore like ummm an old bagel. Here I am thinking I am special doing this on a 250, stop whining about your seat and get rolling on your MOTOR cycle.

Rode around Orthop lake on the NF road on the west side of the lake which was all to myself and very scenic. The road was in rough shape and had more tar snakes than the Well of Soules ( get it?)

The folks at Black Dog Cycle works told me Sandpoint Idaho was the place to be so I was on my way. Beautiful drive and glad I chose the route. After grabbing something to eat I am surprised to find the campground full,

Mother trucker it was almost dark. Time to ride the bike like a crotch rocket and get to a hotel in Couer d’Alene. I stay in the first hotel I find, Super 8. I like to call it Super 8 ball since its full of meth tweekers. Long Long day and although the carpet is moist in the room its off to sleep.

Holy crap I went 454 miles that day, didn't realize that until now. One more day to go until this ride report is put to sleep.

PDX Alamo screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 07:15 PM
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote