Thread: Nascar 2012
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #596
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
"I have to say most of the drivers were willing to at least get in the car and put it on," Downing said. "They were polite. We had a funny incident there. At one point, we went into the NASCAR trailer. Mike Helton was in there and we were going to talk about it. It was going to be a discussion, no big deal.

"For some reason, Earnhardt came in. He sat down with a big grin on his face and we were ushered out right away. He was not interested in it. He wasn't going to talk about it. He wasn't going to spend any time. Really, he was the only driver that I didn't get around to."

When Earnhardt died of a basilar skull fracture at Daytona six months later -- the fourth such fatality over a span of less than a year -- drivers immediately lined up at Downing's door. Since then -- and with the introduction of SAFER barriers and a redesigned chassis -- the rate of serious head and neck injuries in NASCAR has declined sharply."

I think that without the noose, Danica would be dead after all her crashing this year. I'm still holding out hope for her career because that Jeff Gordon guy was known for wadding up race cars before he really took off as a good race car driver.