View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I'm 73. So what? Lead or GIT!

Ultimately this will be a Ride Report.
People are fascinated by how old I am. It seems weird. I read a lot of R.R.'s. Too many feedbacks list a bunch of reasons why the writer can not do something. Here is why I can't. 2006 - compression fracture of back at T-12 in oddball snowmobile accident. 2010 - compression fracture of back at T-11, L-1 and L-3. Wife of 28 years succumed to Lung Cancer after a very long, five year battle.
Doctor said, "No more snowmobiles, no flying Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft, don't even think about Bungee Jumping or SkyDiving, AND sell the motorcycles." I listened very carefully. I found a New Doctor and bought a Vstrom. In January, I rode south to Cabo San Lucas. Returned to the States and immediately went back to the Mexican mainland. Squirted over to Brownsville, Texas, back to Mexico and then north to Oregon. In June I rode a SaddleSore 1,000 with two broken ribs. (Search under "Calimusjohn". There is a writeup in R.R.'s). In August, I rode 8,084 miles in 24 days from Southern Oregon to Coldfoot, Alaska and home via Homer, AK and Missoula, MT.
Last year I rode my Goldwing Trike on the Four Corner's Tour. Waded across a flooded Cananda and was turned south by SNOW! in Dawson Creek. Did the Ride to the Sun, Little Big Horn, Tetons, Yellowstone and Arches near Moab and returned home for clean socks.
Am I special? Far from it. I also have Scoliosis (curvature of the spine). If I let it - I will be on permanent "Shoe Watch" soon. Am I on drugs - yep. Lots of Ibuprofen and some prescription meds that help stop the spasms that occur when I twist, stretch or bump the spinal cord. Experts say 34 degrees deflection is real bad - I'm at 34.5 degrees and still kicking. Now, at the end of a Day's Ride, I often confer with Captain Morgan about that Day's travel while studying the charts, preparing for the 'morrow. Oh, what was your reason for not riding?
With all that B.S. out of the way - I will try and write a coherent R.R. on my latest Alaska Adventure.

calimusjohn screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 12:18 PM
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote