View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertt View Post
OK, so like I said - the only way for me to even get to a 35 mph road is to first travel on a 45 mph road for a couple of miles. If I get pulled over on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc scooter I guess I get a ticket under this proposal even though there is no other way to get to the 35 mph road?

Well, if I have to get a scooter that needs to be registered, plated and inspected each year and which I can't park anywhere I want (sidewalk, bike rack like a 50cc) then there is absolutely no reason for me to get one. Might as well continue to ride downtown on my 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 with an antique plate on it, which makes it exempt from paying registration fees and having to get it inspected every year. I was really considering a scooter... but it does not make sense based on a lot of comments in this thread... oh well.
I think people are getting a little carried away on this thread. True that it will be hard to find a 50 that will do 50 mph but I think you can find one that will do 42-45 mph if you look around. Look for a 2 stroke. It will have the aceleration to keep up with the carges. I have a 50 cc zuma and it will do 38 mph on flat ground with me on it. I am 250 lbs. Up steep hills I can only do 25 mph. So the point is a zuma will not do what you want. Some of the bikes I would look at would be the Kymco super 8 50 , the Super 9 50cc , and a Vento 50cc. All of these should be able to do 42-45 mph. I doubt very much that a cop will bother you on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc. Even the expressways have a minimum speed of 45 mph ( not that you can go on one) . The point is 45 mph is the max. speed If you were doing 40 mph on a 45 mph road you are not a big problem. If you ride bicycles around town you already know how to keep out of the way. Unless you love to tinker I would stay away from modifying it at all other than just deresticting it if neededl. The trade off you get is not worth the effort.

lifer screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 06:50 AM
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote