View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Bisoboinan aka Adam, arrives and delivers the parts on a beautiful red moto guzzi. He pulls in straight from the border to let us know he has arrived, goes home to change before coming straight back up to the hotel to start work on getting the bike back in working order. We piece together knowledge from the chain gang, the Haines manual, and emails and phone calls to Frank from ‘Z’s motorcycle werks and ZMW adventures’, a lovely knowledgeable and caring man who I had met on my way through Tucson. The pionion gears are sheared, and the waterpump a little damaged. We work late into the night, the frustrations of the assembly at times doing our head in. We have to cut the oil pipe and replace it with a tube pipe in order to pull out the clutch cover. Placing the lot back we break the clutch arm, and there is a moment of panic when we think we have really broken the clutch, and will need further parts. Thankfully, some thought patience then banging with a hammer we finally seem to sort the pieces back in order.

Tiredness and hunger overcome us and we call it a night. The bike is still in bits on the garage floor. But we sleep.
The next morning Adam does a stellar job at getting the bike together while I trade a little time in his overgrown garden helping his lovely wife. We do a shake down ride for 5 hours to get fireworks for independence day, arriving back just after dark. A few further tweaks made on the road and I feel almost ready to hit the road in the morning. Much indebted to my delivery driver and mechanic Adam, and hosts Tom and Lyn, for their support to put me back on the road south.