View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
Gnarly Adventurer
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 200
As far as insurance goes. My son has had my Honda reflex in san diego with my registration and Wisconsin plates on it for the past year. He has his own isurance policy on it in his name and has had no problem. The insurance co told him that they do not care who owns it as long as the one driving it has the policy and states what county it is kept in. The state can not demand it be licensed there because I own it and I live in wisconsin. I drive it when I go visit him in Cal.
If I were you I would call my ins co. in Montana and get a liability policy on the moped and then drive it around in Texas like I owned the place. If stoped just show you montana insurance info and say very nicly that Montana does not plate or title mopeds. As lond as you have a montana drivers license you have no problem.
The worst that will happen is the cop will say you can't do that here and tell you to stop driving it. More than likly he will say have a safe day, make sure you follow Texas moped laws when driving, thank you for your service to the country and enjoy your stay here in Texas.
Ins. companies are funny though . You might have to get a liability policy from a co. in Texas because you are keeping it there but I would call you co. in Montana first becuse you are in the military it might be different. I carry a scooter with me on my 5th wheel and stay in many states for extended periods of time like 2-3 months at a time and have had no problems with cops in any of the states I have been in. I just have everything legal for where I live in Wisconsin.

lifer screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:58 AM
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote