View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
The road without bears

Sent off by Tom to find the road without bears. The signage 'camino sinuoso' at one point had been doctored to say ' camino sin oso'. A small winding road through the mountains that locals I met along the way warned me dropped of into cliffs and were very steep!
P1110522
Untitled

The Sierra Mardas is beautiful. Recent rain bringing the desert alive with color, flowers line the road, butterflies line my windscreen, and a variety of birds flit past the bike. But the roads are in a poor state. Lots of to huge rocks potholes, tarantulas, donkeys, turkey vultures, horses, cattle and dogs to keep you on your toes. Often running in front of the bike for a few hundred meters before veering off to the side.
GOPR5652

GOPR5657

GOPR5720

GOPR5699
Plus a water crossing or two (which I also use to cool off in). And really bike breaking sever speedbumps! The bottom of my bike is getting a beating.

GOPR5645

The amazing curves of hwy 16 with significantly better roads has left the sides of my footplates and toes being scrapped at least 10 times in 80km. One bank after another as I wound my way through the mountains. For a change this road had only the occasional truck coming round the corner on the wrong side, or half the hillside and trees siting my side of the roads. So it was defiantly an easier road to navigate. Though getting over 60 km per hour felt like you were flying.
GOPR5722

The locals seem to have amazing patience. Seemingly unperturbed to wander down the road at 30km an hour, or down the main street at an excruciating 5 km an hour. Maybe enjoying watching the gringo on the bike try and keep from stalling behind them! But they kindly turn on their left indicator to let you know it's safe to pass. Or at times also to turn left! Not a fantastic combination!

Hewby screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 04:27 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote