View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
Read again, 8000 GBP, that is about $13,000 USD. Yeah, that is to go anywhere in China with a foreign bike because you re not allowed in the country with a foreign bike, without a guide, period.
I have not crossed into China on my bike, but it is my understanding, that you have to hire a tour company in China to handle all the paperwork for you. And they will arrange you the guide to come and meet you up at the border. You pay for the tour company´s services (probably pretty much a fixed amount per head, even if you stayed only 1 day in China) and the guide´s costs you will pay by day, so those depend on how long you will travel there. If you have a group, you may be able to share those guide costs. The guide will not travel as a pillion on a motorcycle, but may travel as a passenger in a car, so if you only have bike(s), then the guide will need a car, the rental of which you also have to pay.

From Kyrgyzstan via China to Pakistan on the Karakoram Highway seems to be a relatively used route, because it only requires a short stay in China, so guide costs may be smaller.

Also how many provinces you will be visiting inside China, will affect the costs, because it involves more paperwork (.....BUT do note, that just lately several travellers have reported, that inter-provincial travel in China is currently forbidden, so that could have a big impact on anyone´s plans to cross from Nepal to Laos, for example!)

But do note this: riding from Europe to South India, for example, should be totally possible (*) without having to use any guides, or paying ridiculous amounts of money (that kind of money does go a LOOOOOONG way in a cheap country like India, BTW!!)... and then you can ship the bike across the Bay of Bengal to Bangkok, for example (and there are no ferries, so don´t dream about that option!) In fact I did exactly that 4,5 years ago, sent my DL650 on an open crate from Chennai by air to BKK via Kuala Lumpur, and that cost me roughly 600 euros total (plus my own flight ticket Chennai-BKK was about 200 euros). Sending from India is a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare, but still 100% do-able, and I guess you should just take it as an experience in itself........ just like Indian traffic LOL!!

(*) Iran & Pakistan visas could be tough for certain passport holders, though.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 01:44 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote