View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #5108
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
What I'd like to see is a configurable option for power off time when external power is removed.

I use the Montana on my dirtbike and due to vibration at highway speeds, I frequently see the message "external power lost, powering off in 30... 29... 28...". Then t "finds" external power again and the message comes back on. This happens a lot.

It would be nice to be able to configure the GPS to say ignore power losses for less than 30s or less than 1 minute.

Of course the other issue I have to fix here is make sure that it's not actually power to the cradle that's being interrupted at highway speeds.
I had the same problem with my Montana 600. I have it mounted on the Garmin rugged cradle and that is bolted to a Touratech locking mount. All mounted to my KTM 500 EXC and wired directly to the bike battery. The problem would show itself when riding over rough terrain. I called Garmin and they told me about the loose battery issue. I shimmed the battery with several layers of electrical tape. But that didn't cure the problem since it the Montana was losing external power. I then checked the connectors to the bike battery and found an ever so slight amount of looseness in the connector which I had just crimped on. At first I did not think that could possibly be the cause of the problem. But I went ahead and soldered both connectors to the wires and went for a ride with the GPS mounted. So far, problem solved! I think that even a slight amount of play in the connection is enough to cause voltage to drop enough for the Montana to shut down....so solder those power connections!!!!!
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote