View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
R S F R is a cool idea.

I have long considered a variant of this idea. Mine is more fly, buy, ride, store, fly. All from a home base in Mexico is the plan. The home base could change every 2-3 years as I get bored with an area.

Why? A CB125 non-cargo model, new, costs $14,900 pesos, or $1,162 USD in Mexico.

http://www.honda.mx/motos/tool/

Storage, maybe $5 - 8 a month at a dealership, prepaid. If catastrophe occurs in the unknowns, I'm out $1,200 and the cost to get back to my base city. When flying home, drain the tank into a paint bucket and in Mexico it resells in 2-3 seconds on the street. Bomb the tank with WD40 after draining and you are all good till the next trip. Pay someone an extra $5 and you probably could have a friendly employee drive your scoot to and from the airport. Everyone has the eeeeeenternet these days, so notifying would be relatively easy.

Flights from Houston to Monterrey are on sale for $199 R/T all the time. That's waaay cheaper than driving, border crossing, permits, etc... And I never have to worry about a vehicle permit and getting it out at some point. Base 2, probably Mexico City (D.F.), is like $250 a flight. Base 3, maybe Oaxaca, grows in cost, but hopefully in relation to my income, lol.

Sure, a 150 is slow (55mph), won't get you far fast, ugly, can't carry much cargo, etc...but in Mexico you are always within 20 miles of a $10 hotel, $5 meal, and $1 cerveza. Mexico on a 150 is Mexico the Mexican way. All I need is a 2nd set of riding gear, helmet, and to come from the states with a backpack, a tank bag, a bundle of cash, and a positive attitude...

Why have I not done this yet????

I was pondering Monterrey as a base, but then violence kind of scared off my friends who were also going to participate.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote