View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #527
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
OK... I won't tell my RT that it is not sporty...

"Full size" touring bike it is not. Several of my buddies have either Wings or Ultras, all of which are at least 300 pounds heavier and cannot keep up with me in twisties. By the way... the RT has a better useful load than the Goldwing and a goodly number of the HD's !

And I suspect the crotch rocket drivers that I stay with or pass with all the luggage on might also suspect it is a "sport" tourer... After they get over the shock
Before we go any further remember my first comment described the R1200RT as a "fab" bike, as in fabulous motorcycle.

Yes I have had seat time on R1200RT. Both seats in fact. For a bike with integrated 3 box luggage with backrest, expansive (& heated !) rider & pillion accommodations, upright ergos, huge fuel capacity, full coverage fairing with sound system & electronically controlled windscreen, not to mention electronically controlled suspension & navigation systems or better load capacity than a Goldwing its a stunning achievement that the R1200RT handles in such a remarkably sporty fashion. Its competitors in the touring bike sector, FJR1300, Connie 1400, ST1300 & I suspect the new Trophy 1200 as well lag behind. As for the LeadWing & the Hardly Drivable Ultra-Lard, they are fully dressers not touring bikes.

But if you have ever ridden a R1200R then you will know how much more vital & sporty the R1200 chassis can be when stripped of all the purely touring accruements listed above that BMW tack on to make the R1200RT. BMW Motorrad began manufacturing "RT" (Reise-Tourer, or "travel tourer") touring motorcycle models in the late 1970s single-handedly creating & defining the touring bike class. It seems so silly to challenge BMW's description of its own product. The R1200RT is the archetypical touring bike, full stop.