Thread: Heated gear.
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
If I knew heated gear was as good as it is in the cold I would have got it a long time ago. I can ride comfortably for any length of time at any speed in pretty much any temp down to freezing. The heated collar is really nice and keeps your head warm.

I have Gerbings microwire. Works well but had a few minor issues with connectors that were easily fixed. See comments in webbikeworld.com review of this. The jacket is great. My Gerbings T5 gloves on the other hand are great too but the sizing is off. I take a L in tourmaster and most other gloves but am swimming in the L Gerbings gloves. They need to fit tight to transfer heat. Read great things about warm and safe too so I would also consider their stuff. I would avoid tourmaster unless you are only going to use it on the rare occasion. It is cheaper but not as good. Skip a heated vest in favor of a heated jacket liner with heated collar IMO. A heated liner needs to fit tight over just something like a long sleeve T shirt to transfer heat effectively. Avoid the temptation to buy oversize.

One issue that bugs me with all heated gear is it lacks sufficient insulation. If you want to be comfortable in cold weather (<45F) plan on wearing your heated liner under the insulated liner than comes with your jacket. Other wise you are going to have hot spots where the heating elements are and be cold elsewhere. At temps higher than 45F the heated liner without the extra insulation works fine.

Also get a dual channel controller. Your going want both heated gloves and a liner to be comfortable at the temperatures the liner allows you to ride in. With the gerbings controller invest the extra $10 on the controller pouch so you can mount this to the outside of your jacket where it will be adjustable while riding. Having a too hot or too cold jacket and not being able to reach the controller while riding is frustrating. Gloves and jacket liners go well together as you can plug the gloves into the cuffs of the jacket liner.

I think heated pant liners are a waste of money. I ride in insulated motorcycle pants with base and sometimes mid layer and am quite comfortable down to 0C/32F. Think of it this way, when your body is chilled the first thing it does is slow blood flow to the extremities to keep the important organs warm. When you have a warm core circulating warm blood to the extremities cold legs and feet are not a problem.

outsidein screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:12 PM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote