View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #622
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsicleMonkey View Post
I think it is sad to see KTM build bikes to compete with other brands rather than build bikes to compete. Sure I know it is a business and they are out to make some money. I am sure they will sell a ton of these from the interest in this thread. Since I see people putting smaller diameter wheels on their 950/990's maybe this type bike fits that segment well. BTW I think that totally defeats the purpose of the adventure. One of the main reasons I own a 950 is the correct off road worthy 21/18 setup.

To me KTM is "Ready to race". If you want to be competitive at any level in off road racing you buy KTM. Not only are they fast fun and reliable but very competitive right out of the box. Their bikes have been getting away from the race heritage the last few years. New 990's come with an imobilizer? ABS? What do you need that for? And What race are you entering a 1190?

Ahh the sport touring adventure market has a demand for these things. I wish they would leave that market to BMW. So I just hope KTM does not loose sight of what made them great. And I think if you own a KTM you should know who John Penton is.

Maybe this will allow them to offer a 1190 as a street option and a 990 as the off road option without softening it for road use?

+1 for the 690 adventure. (With the correct wheels 21/18)
I really don't get it, the 1190R has 21/18 set-up and has a switch-able off-road mode that drops bike to 100 BHP, disables the ABS and alters the traction control - how can this be less capable than the 990Adv now?
Given the sales figures for motorcycles around Europe right now, KTM would be criminally negligent if they didn't go after the GS/ST/Explorer market share and the standard 1190 does that - but surely the R carries KTMs off-road legacy?

I get that a percentage of the users here want a lightweight 690 Adventure, you all certainly bang on about it enough so this bike (in either format) probably just isn't for you, get over it.
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote