09-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Federal Way WA, South Puget Sound Area
Without further delay...
Project #1: Moto Fairing Model
Lets get started...
Through my research, I have learned that most of the work that goes into composites work is making sure that the plug (the model that a mold is made from) and the mold (the tool that you use to make the final part) is as perfect as possible. This means that your plug needs to be as smooth and shiny as you would want your final part to be. Which in turn means a whole lot of shaping, sanding, bondo, primer, sanding, sanding, bondo, primer, sanding, more sanding, primer, putty, primer, and lots of polishing.
Honestly I don't have a whole lot of experience with this kind of work, but I'm sure that I'll get really good at it with all the opportunities that I'll have to do it. Of course, if anyone reading this thread has any tips or tricks on how to do something better or different, I would love to hear from you in the thread. This kind of feedback is not only very helpful for me, but is also a great way to help others how they might do things differently if they decide to tackle a project.
While waiting for supplies to arrive, I wanted to make the best use of my time and get a little experience using foam board (a great material to build up a plug), and Bondo which I have no experience with.
I built this little model of what I was envisioning a Dakar fairing to look like in my mind when I sat down to make this thing. Of course, after it was put together I think it looks more like an old school fairing of some sort, but still cool and functional as a practice part.
Here I cut foam board and used hot glue to bond it together. The hot glue worked well.
A coat of primer to protect the foam from the Bondo. This is my first time EVER using Bondo, and let me tell you, I have a LOT to learn.
Here we are after a fair bit of work with the Dremel to knock down the spikes and very high spots, and then a fair bit of work with some 60 grit sand paper. I took off the "wings" because I didn't like the look, and after a bit of thought about how a real part would be layed up, it didn't seem right that they would be included in the mold for the fairing. Here is a shot of the bracing that I included in the back of the plug. The foam board really holds up well.
I have a lot more work to do on this plug, and I'm not sure if I'll make a CF part out if it, but I may use it to make a mold, and then cast a glass part from it for practice.
More to come soon!
therivermonster screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 01:40 PM
Reason: my bad spelling