View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
ignatz72 OP
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Custom Maps for Montana

Anyone have a fool-proof methodology for getting good looking custom maps onto the Montana? I worked for 5 hours yesterday and came up with one decent one, and failed with another...

I know the process as Garmin explains it using Google Earth (which is simple enough), but it's getting the custom map at the best possible resolution that seems to elude me. Understood that the final quality will depend heavily upon the quality of the original map (that's why the one that failed did so, it's unreadable on the device as the original is pretty crummy).

I am using Graphic Converter (poor man's Photoshop), and I'm hoping someone else has import/export settings that strike a good balance between file size and quality resolution. I've tried 110ppi up to 150ppi on the import and all manner of JPEG options on the export (baseline, progressive, 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:1:1, etc., ad nauseum) to try to keep the file size under the limit (which I've found to be around 3.2MB).

Below is an example of a map I imported yesterday, in JPEG form it appears to be fine quality but once I import to the device as a KMZ it doesn't look so great. Is this just a limitation of the device, or a limit imposed due to the ridiculously small file size restriction? You can only make a 3MB JPEG look so good, in other words.

I'm starting to think the custom maps "feature" is just a gimmick...

Thanks in advance.

ignatz72 screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:49 PM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote