View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #5274
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
What is a non-routable map?
I have Topo 100k and CN 2013 installed. Which map should I select for the direct routing?

We prefer routes over tracks as the routes give us distance to next and predictive turn instructions. When approaching a turn we have a pretty good idea which way to go.

Tracks requires more constant monitoring of the GPS and sometimes at intersections it will be required to take one or more of the trails for some distance to verify the correct turn has been made.

As I understand it you combine tracks with waypoints and proximity alerts to mimic what the routes do: distance to next and predictive turn instructions. Is this correct?
1) Proxmity alerts will warn you of an upcoming turn? DO you get some sort of "distance to alert" message?
2) What is the purpose of the waypoints?

JB Rupee

PS Thanks for the detailed replies.
As mentioned, your US 100K Topo's do not have routable data: i.e, non-routable maps. If you were to use them along with CNNA (which obviously does have routable data) in BaseCamp you should be able to create mixed-routes and send them to the Montana: at least with Mac-BC. Try the map-switching technique in Win-BC.

If you do use Tracks to navigate, you can add Waypoints along your path as informational Alerts. I like to place my Waypoints along the Track but they don't have to be actually on the Track path, within 200ft is enough for them to be included in the Nav Info list. Any point included in the Nav Info list will also show in the Distance to Next data field. You can put Proximity Alerts in the Waypoints and you will get the beep/screen-popups when you approach the waypoint and when you depart the Proximity radius. The one drawback to Track Nav Info on the Montana is that when a Track is selected and you press "GO" to navigate, the unit always defaults to using any available map elevation data to "calculate" the path. When this happens, you will get Nav Info points for major changes in Elevation (+,-). These will also show up in the Distance to Next data field. Sometimes this is good if you are only Trail riding but most of the time they are just a distraction. I have found that the primary Track in Adventures does not automatically calculate the path using DEM (elevation) data so there are no Elevation change points in the Nav Info list. Hooray!!! Now if the Montana Team will just give us the ability to NOT use DEM data with Track Nav (outside of Adventures) I'd be a happy(er) guy.

For mixed-routes you all just need the same version of the map that was use to create the Along-road Routing data in your mixed-route: i.e, CNNA v20xx.xx

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 12:40 PM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote