View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #5276
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
. . .

In the past when following tracks (without proximity alerts and waypoints) it involves creeping up on the turn (or more likey overrunning the turn if you are motoring along or your attention is on a difficult technical trail). Then stopping, especially if the intersection has multiple turns or multiple trails within a short distance to determine the correct way to go.

Maybe tracks with waypoints and proximity alerts can solve the problem. But there is nothing like looking down at the GPS and seeing that you are exactly on the planned route rather than "near" a straight line track.

I have had this happen on a few occasions with a Zumo when there are parallel tracks in a wooded section. Just a few yards apart, but you cant see t
he other one. Get a couple miles down the wrong one which is now veering off course and does not reconnect. No choice but to backtrack and pick up the correct trail. Routes pretty much eliminate any of this.
I completely understand the added value Routing provides. I've gone through all of the GPS's we use in DS/Adv Touring. The issue has always been (and still is) that if you want to share your route (unless its a Direct Route) everyone must have the same map set. For small groups or on tours like ours, this is not such a big deal (I provide the Maps we use). But, ad hoc get togethers and larger groups this is not usually possible. Anyway. Now you know it can be done in BaseCamp just like MapSource and that the Montana will use Mixed-routes without changing them (map-caveat).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote