View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #104
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
I'm going to say something that you're probably not going to like. The street isn't the place for ANYONE to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

Go buy yourself a used 100cc dirtbike and the appropriate gear then go find a field and lean how to ride the thing without seriously hurting yourself. I can promise you that you are going to fall down. Once you get good on the 100 go back and take the course on a steet bike. Most beginners I see start out on way too much bike. I can't tell you how many folks I see starting out on big, heavy street bikes they have no business on.

I started both my son and daughter out on the 50. My son started when he was 4. Now that he's 16 and has 12 years of riding under his belt I still have really mixed feelings about him riding on the street.

Don't give up. Good Luck
Whatever. I learned to ride by taking the MSF course. I bought a 650 Suzuki Bandit as my first bike. I would come home after work and practice riding around the streets in the Oakland Hills in CA until I felt comfortable with controlling the bike. then I ventured out onto the highway, which scared the crap out of me the first time. But I just kept riding and practicing until everything became second nature. Within two weeks I was commuting into San Francisco from Oakland, and soon after that was comfortable enough to lane split. I was an adult when I learned and had plenty of common sense and a healthy dose of fear. I did not have parents that allowed me near motorcycles growing up so did not have the luxury of having ridden ten years before getting my MC endorsement. My point is not everyone has the luxury of being able to learn on a dirt bike and then move on but if you use restraint and common sense you can find a way that works.

Good luck!!!!