View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
I've been thinking about doing "The Big Tour" when I retire or semi-retire in a couple years and like the idea of doing it in segments. This gives me plenty of time to explore, hike, visit old frinds, fly fish and visit strip clubs along the way (ok, just wanted to see who's paying attention ).

As I've already got a ton of gear I would just leave most of it with the bike and bring home my dirty laundry and the electronic stuff. My first blush at a plan is:

First Leg

Work from Vermont along the US Canadian border. End up in BC where I have a friend where I can store my bike. This seems like a good central location or some lengthy western rides. Miles 3000+, time 21 days or so.

Get a round trip ticket home.

Second Leg

Vancouver Island and ride North to Alaska, possibly taking a ferry along the coast. Spend a week or so in Alaska then ride south through the Yukon and over into the Northwest Terriorty. Motor south to friend's place. Miles 5000+, time approximately 2 months.

Get a round Trip ticket home.

Third Leg

Head south through Idaho, Utah, and northern Az. Work back east via NM, TX, and AR. Arrive in Memphis for our annual Blues Awards party. Ride home through the mountains in Va and WV. Miles 4000, time 1 month.

Will be glad to read thoughts and suggestions.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote