View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Nice Transalp! That bike just looks fantastic in proper adventure setup (knobbies, engine guard, giant loop, etc). I'm looking into one of these myself. How are they offroad? I'm mostly interested in how it fares gnarly low-speed passages. Did you change the gear ratio for better low-speed control in first gear?

Soon we got the full container load covered on ADVrider. We got mikecbrxx's, the BikeBrothers and now you. Who did I miss out?
Yep, you've found 4 out of 12 (Harald + Udo = 2, Mike = 1, me = 1) from the Almaty container. There might be more... Last time I saw Mike was in Almaty; I bumped into H and U again in Tajikistan and Ulaan Baatar. Both reports look great.

I'll discuss my bike more later, but briefly, it has a 30L African Queens tank, progressive fork springs and harder fork oil along with a rebuilt stiffer rear shock. It behaved surprisingly well on, in places, quite tricky terrain.

The mud, where there was mud, wasn't too muddy and the sand not too sandy () so I had no real riding issues (if you exclude self-inflicted ones). Having ridden pogos for a while might also have helped, or not. Can't say.

Transalps bounce real well and it's amazing what you can do with a 100% submarined bike if you know how .

I ran stock gearing, but you could easily make it more aggressive as I rode most places at 80kmh/50mph
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote