View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #90
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I just cannot see this bike as an "adventure" type, unless any dare out on a scoot down to a restaurant is an "adventure".
The major design flaw is fuel tank orifice. Having it under the rear seat means to gas the NX up one needs to take off the rear luggage first, or never have one, limit yourself to side cases only. 14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
All other are not big deals one by one, but together they make NX of pure street commuter type. No rear hugger, short front fender, therefore a 100 yards down to a gravel and the bike and the rider are looking like they have finished at Paris -Dakar. Noodles instead of front suspension.
It is another Versys, modern, fun to ride down a street, nice to look at, but otherwise pretty useless in its stock form. The whole impression after a test ride was I rode a cheap toy for real money.
I have went 258 miles (415 km) on 3.42 gallons US at 75.5 mpg. If I would have ran the tank dry, I could have hit the 280 mile(450 km) mark on one tank.
One magazine reported 47 mpg at 85 mph. Now if your intentions are riding 85 mph (136 kph) for the entire tank. Your right.
I have taken my NCX down 30 miles of rough gravel/dirt roads, on a mini adventure and it handled it pretty good. The shocks do need sorted out and a bash plate is on the short list.
But the little bike fared very well for a street bike. I wasn't filthy either.