View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,187
Day 04

Much of the suggestion for roads and routes for day 04 comes from inmate Tagesk.

As I mentioned earlier his "riding in Tuscany" thread here on ADV is to Italy as john Hermann's book is to the Alps. A first rate source of information

Morning in Sospel. Bikes out of the garage & packed up.

We had checked the map the night before & compared it to where we thought we might be, and where we wanted to be... We aimed for the town (city?) of Alba. That way we would intersect the route Tagesk had suggested.

Sun's up and we're rollin'

European mountain towns are always lovely (my opinion)

The original guard rail? Tree lined streets.

The girl is on fire this morning.. leading the charge.

Leaving the flat lands the country gets a bit more rolling. We can see mountains in the distance, and that makes us smile. This is wine country (well the whole country seems to be wine country).

Michelle realizes that we are going to pass near to the town of Barolo. This seems to make her very happy.. I can hear it in her voice through the com set. Now... I like a nice glass of wine as much as the next person, but Michelle knows her wine! So she gave me the run-down on the wines etc as we got closer to the town.

wiki says:
Quote:
Barolo is a red Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) wine produced in the northern Italian region of Piedmont. It is made from the Nebbiolo grape and is often described as one of Italy's greatest wines. The zone of production extends into the communes of Barolo, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d'Alba and parts of the communes of Cherasco, Diano d'Alba, Grinzane Cavour, La Morra, Monforte d'Alba, Novello, Roddi, Verduno, all in the province of Cuneo, south-west of Alba. Only vineyards planted in primarily calcareous-clay soils in the hills with suitable slopes and orientations are considered suitable for Barolo production. Barolo is often described as having the aromas of tar and roses, and the wines are noted for their ability to age and usually take on a rust red tinge as they mature. When subjected to aging of at least five years before release, the wine can be labeled a Riserva..
hmm... sounds good to me
Funny enough it was right on our route! Perfect. Tage was reading my mind? hmmm

I'm happy to stop & have a look around...

Michelle determining how many bottle my BMW topcase will hold....

One of the tasting houses

So many choices.... so little room

We decided on a couple of bottle (for medicinal purposes) and tossed them in the top box as we went for a wander around town.

I should have brought a bottle of this back for Kevin.... no not Che Guevara

Narrow streets

The corkscrew museum! who knew?

headed out of town again on the road to Alba

Now alba seemed a bit busy.. a lot of hustle & bustle, and while I am sure we could have found a good restaurant & had a lovely lunch, we decided to press on a bit. Instead we stopped in Spigno Monferrato.

We found a small place where the waiter read us what they had for primo, etc and we ordered up. Fantastic beef carpaccio to start followed by gnochi, and then dolche with cappuccino and truffles.
I probably should have combed my hair when I took my helmet off.... and shaved... oh well. Holiday.

well fed and ready to ... nap

The next little bit is just still pictures courtesy of the GoPro set to capture every 60 seconds. So 2 minutes equals a trip into and through the Parco Nat. Capanne Di Marcarolo. Fantastic roads!

When we got to the junction of SP 165 and SP 166 to go down to Voltaggio, the road was closed. It was getting late, we needed gas, so we looped back around ending up back in Ovada.

We walked up to the old town and had a nice dinner with mixed seafood & grilled prawns, and then back to the hotel.

Time to crack a bottle of Barolo? Hmm.. maybe not.. it's been a long day.

The trip so far:

About 310 km on the day, so great roads, a huge plus rolling in to Barolo for a couple bottles of wine, and the ride through the park was fantastic. We really love Italia!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

g容g screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 11:00 AM
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote