View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
tenmile OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Day 4 (~210 Mi, http://goo.gl/maps/023ZE): We pulled out of Telluride after a quick run up to Bridal Veil Falls. For those of you whom know this road, it starts off at the top as Black Bear Pass- a one way four wheel drive road, then eventually turns into a two way road. By this point, we were both fully loaded with all our gear, and elected not to continue to the top where it turns into the one way.

Picture of the Falls (left- I elected this photo because the scenery was better):

Picture looking back to Telluride- ignore the super-toxic mine tailing pond or TX tourist:

Our route took us out of Telluride, up to Norwood, then continued onto the small town of Gateway, which contains a resort & the Gateway Auto Museum, owned by John Hendricks of the Discovery Channel Fame. The road is like no other. Unfortunately, we were too distracted by the beautiful scenery and twisties that neither of us wanted to stop to take pictures of the route! It is highly recommended, if you ever end up in this part of the state. Completely out of the way, but gorgeous. Looks a lot like Moab, but in CO.

A shot looking at the Gateway bluff.

Inside the Gateway Museum- This is a museum like no other. The barriers are none, security is nil, and the cars are exquisite. You can literally stick your head in the cars and come within 6” or so (if they even have barriers!).

Some of the gems (in my book):
Olds F-88 Concept. On the record as one of the most expensive cars ever sold at auction, for $3.24M. Allegedly, Harvey Earl snuck it out of the factory piece by piece… Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, though, because I think it looks like a giant catfish.

2nd ever Hemi Cuda ever Made.

If I remember correctly, the #1 GT-500 ever made.

Who doesn’t love Smokey & the Bandit? This is the ’81 version, but it has 75 original miles on the odometer, complete with Autotragic transmission, Velour interior and T-Tops!

Some old Chevies:

All in all, too many cars to post, but a highly memorable time.

We then jetted out to Whitewater, CO, then down to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, where we set up camp for the night.
tenmile is offline   Reply With Quote