View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
tenmile OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Day 9 (~270mi, http://goo.gl/maps/ouAQy):
After a great campfire, good dinner and slightly too much whiskey, we awoke bright and early to get packed up and headed out. While I had the short day back to Denver, Kris was headed to Bryce Canyon and wanted to get a jump on it before the temperature got too hot. We broke down camp and headed to the Grand Mesa lookout for some last photos together, before we parted ways.
These three make up a panorama:

Another Shot:

Bike shot!:

Us boys parting ways:

We then split ways at the Hwy 330 cut off and went out separate ways. Hwy 330 runs through Collbran, then turns into a county road, then a Forest Service road before spitting you out near Silt.
A couple of shots at the top:

I then hit the slab and ran the road up to Hwy 24, where I jumped on Shrine Pass for some last minute Dirt action! It’s a relatively graded road, but packed with tourists (it was Saturday), so I turned ‘Dirt Mode’ back on and cranked through with a grin a mile wide on my face. I’ve done this pass so many times that I didn’t think to stop and take too many photos, but here’s one from an old trip:

After dumping back onto I70 at Vail Pass, I ran up to Hwy 6 and took Loveland pass, where Porsche just happened to be testing two new 918’s, in full mock up. They of course were not keen for photos (and were keen for testing), so I was too happy to oblige following them as they tested the capabilities of the 918’s on the twisty Loveland Pass. Was an experience I’ll never forget. This photo was ‘borrowed’ from someone else whom happened to be on the road that day, and shot one of the cars while it was stopped.

Altogether too soon, I was home (1640 miles later!), and already plotting our next big adventure for 2013. Seems like life, work and home duties often get in the way of spending quality time with friends doing what you love, but after the memories of this trip, it’s sure to become an annual tradition.

Obligatory Bug photo (after two clean-offs for this trip!):

Signing off-
tenmile
tenmile is online now   Reply With Quote