View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #3202
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
New tag is a stalled or abandoned construction project:

On my way to this site (which I happened to notice in some aerial photography), I waited something like 10 minutes at a level crossing while 3 trains passed. The northbound trains passed very slowly and when I reached the site a short distance south down the line, there was a train stopped and waiting, presumably for a signalling issue:

(That gave me an excuse to use my second photo)

You can see how long this site dep in suburbia has been inactive from these aerial photos from nearmap.com:

April this year:

The oldest photo I could find, November 2009, and the timber looks pretty weathered by then:

Presumably the builder fell victim to the 2008 GFC; completely stalled residential projects like this are quite unusual in Melbourne. The local councils do not like this happening and the building permits typically have an end date by which homes must be completed and have a certificate of occupancy.

This property was advertised for about $1.4m about a year ago:
Development Site MUST BE SOLD
Description:

Position Perfect, ready to go with plans and permits for 6 double story townhouses, land size 1502 sq metres, close to shops, school and public transport.

A month ago an application was made to build 22 units there! High density living at its finest...
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote