View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #251
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Sure, I don't doubt that some improvements could be made - although when the majority of the reports here seem to suggest owners are very happy with the fueling/power response as stock, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to buy a $4000 bike, and put a $700 exhaust on it?

As I said in my post you quoted - I'm all for swapping out parts if they help to reduce weight and improve performance, but was questioning why anyone would want to swap an exhaust to simply 'make the bike louder'?

My response was initially to the youtube link a couple of pages back which showed a very loud aftermarket exhaust - my point in all of this was simply that fitting dual-sport bikes with excessively loud pipes and riding them in public areas is going to get [more] trails closed down...

Jx
I hate to jump in the foray, but just wanted to make a couple of comments. First of all, I totally agree with JMo that loud = less riding and shut down areas - no if and or buts, from the street to trails it's a fact that it is a huge issue. Didn't California just implement SB435? Direct response to noise? Denver has noise ordanances..same thing, the forest service now can stop and do noise checks (and they do) around here as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure that just because a bike is inexpensive, that should discourage one from making expensive mods to it for little percieved gain - I have friends that have made expensive mods to thier expensive bikes (KTMs come to mind) for the similar gains. In fact, to me it makes more sense to mod an inexpensive bike, than an expensive bike - as I would have expected the expensive bike to be closer to that 'perfection' that one may be seeking, and you can get in for a lower cost and mod as you can - if you choose. I have no illusions with this bike, no matter what I do it will never be an awesome single track weapon or dakar ready, but thats ok with me - as I will never be that level of rider either

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote