View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #26948
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Eh? Lead Free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
read our in house (British MoD) magazine today and there was an article about how in helmand they now have a tailor made machine to incinerate out of date small arms ammo. six months shelf life, thats it. up to 18 tons of it every month. incinerator cooks off the primer and powder, the bullet even stays in the case. then its sold as scrap metal, brass, steel, antimony in AP rounds.
i can understand propellant going off with humid/dry cycles etc and squaddies need tiptop stuff at all times, but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.

Coincidentally, I read an article today in the newest issue of 'Shooting Times' where the author remarked on the subject of storing ammo. His comment was rather casual (as though it was common knowledge, certainly not to me) that ammunition loaded with 'lead free' primers had a short (couple of years) shelf life. If this IS really the case it certainly SHOULD become common knowledge. I am not big on 'conspiracy thoeries' or the like but there ARE many in our government here in the US who would love for our ammo to degrade to uselessness over a period of years. The premise for lead free priming was purported to be for the safety of those shooting on less than well ventilated indoor ranges, perhaps there IS a more sinister reason for it as well. I certainly don't know but I might be more inclined to save my old ammunition and shoot up the newer stuff.

Bruce

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote