Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #25383
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I've been having a good year racing the OMBC, been winning my class, Novice Clydesdale, getting my pick at the prize table every race. I'm enjoing it now, next year racing Sport I'll be lucky to see the podium. I've carried home a couple of tires and a saddle, but this weekend I managed to snag a 70% discount voucher for Velocity Wheels good for up to $700. Wow.

So looking at their 29er wheelsets...

http://store.velocityusa.com/product...3064.79421.0.0

I'm thinking that the Blunt SL Comp make the most sense for me. I weigh 220 & tend to plow through things... The pro builds use Sapim bladed spokes in a 2x lacing vs the double butted dt's on the comp build, laced 3x. Assuming I upgrade to alloy nipples the pro wheelset is only 170 grams lighter. Should I conisider the wider P35 rims?
As others mentioned, I'd go with the standard P35.

The extra width will make for a more laterally stiff rim. It'll, also, add more air volume, which results in a better ride. And, you'll end up with a wider footprint. Lastly, the standard, 3X and brass nipples are plenty adequate. Generally, the higher the build (less weight), the less durable and lower the weight capacity.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote