View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Showing how old I am, I think I still have (hidden somewhere) the first issue of Cycle magazine I bought in 1970. That was shortly after Cook Nielson took over the magazine. It has a picture of Dick Mann's Daytona-winning Honda 750 on the cover. It also had a short article on the Yamaha Mini-Enduro (JT-1), which was my dream bike at the time. The magazine's high water mark was when Nielson and Shilling ran the Hot Rod.

Now, I prefer Performance Bike from the UK (I subscribe). Lots of stuff about older bikes and how to keep them on the road, willing to say tough stuff about bikes they're reviewing. Fun features like their monthly Garages, and Guy Martin is a columnist.

Bike is good as well (I subscribe to this, too), but it was awesome ten years ago when Dan Walsh was writing for them. The best motorcycle writer ever. Buy a copy of his assembled aritings, These are the Days That Must Happen to You. Brilliant stuff. Damon l'Anson was good, too, but did not stay that long.

CW and Motorcyclist? Meh. I might buy them if I see them on the rack in the supermarket.

well to each his own. I would have said Dan Walsh is the WORST motorcycle writer ever.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote