View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Bear Country Camping

We don't have much of a bear problem down here in Texas, other than Big Bend that is. It's not a real problem there either since there are few around. Up north in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc., that's a different story. On my recent trip we only camped once, at Echo Park in Dinosaur National Monument, but there were signs posted warning of bear activity in the area. I didn't get a lot of sleep that night, and neither did my son who was set up next to me. We also passed close to an area west of Yellowstone where a camper was recently pulled out of their tent, killed, and eaten. Other campers nearby were attacked at the same time by several other bears traveling with the sow who was responsible for the fatality.

My question is, for those who camp in such areas regularly, what do you to get a good nights sleep? I know the odds are against having any encounters, but then some have had several in close succession. I keep bear spray handy, but if you are in your sleeping bag, inside your tent, and it's pitch black when your are grabbed from outside, what good is it going to do. You'll never get a chance to use it, even if you can find it! Is there an answer, or do you just play the odds and try to put it out of your mind.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote