View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Day 13 Sept 29 616 kms Seymour TX to Santa Rosa NM

It had rained all night, and it was still raining this morning. I put on my rain gear and went out to check the bike over and tighten the chain.
I packed all my gear, and went out to load the bike, but it had started raining harder so I went back in to wait for it to let up a bit. I continued to check and at one point I met some oil workers who had come back to the motel as their job site had been rained out. By about 9:00 AM, it hadn’t slowed, so I packed the bike and headed down the road.

The original plan was to head towards New Mexico on secondary roads, but, while waiting for the rain to let up, I checked the weather report. Amarillo was reporting overcast but not raining. I asked the motel guy the best way to get to Amarillo, and he told me to take 283 to Vernon and get on the freeway heading west. He then suggested I take the Farm to Market road 1919, as the traffic would be lighter. So away I went, in the rain, visibility just about zero.

He was right about the light traffic on FM 1919. It was about 40 miles to the intersection of hwy 70, and I saw 2 pickups the whole way. I worked my way west, in the rain, and it wasn’t letting up. I headed up hwy 6 towards Quanah, hoping the rain would slow down.

No such luck. I got onto the main hwy at Quanah and rode west, in the rain. I stopped in Childress to eat and pick up a couple of things.I needed a new cord for my iPhone, and went into an elecronics store to see if they had one. It wasn't that kind of store, but the guy said he had a spare one, and gave me a new, official apple product, phone cord, and wouldn't take any money. I like Texas!

Everywhere I stopped, people were commenting on the rain, and telling me to ride carefully in the rain. ( my whole time in Texas, pretty much everybody I talked to, when they said goodbye, told me to “Be Safe” J )

By Amarillo, it was down to just a drizzle. I continued down the road, and when I hit New Mexico, the rain had stopped and it was warming up.

New Mexico

I got into Santa Rosa, got a room, and went for some pretty good Mexican food.

On the way to supper.

I watched the news later on, and the rain was wreaking havoc all over Texas.
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote