View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #69841
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
great visuals!

how is it people say the ktm needle works better than an oem needle shimmed? i have 2 washers under an oem needle and was thinking about a ktm needle. i see a wider ktm needle and that means less gas at the oem needle assuming the same resting position.

even the fp needle is wider. the only advantage those 2 have is clip adjust-ability but washers under the factory needle work just fine to raise the needle and thus more gas...plus the factory needle is thinner as lets more gas through. i see it being the best oem shape option. plus the fp & ktm needle are longer and sit deeper in the carb, less gas, than oem.

am i missing something here???
I am pretty sure the numbers in the chart represent the area left open around the needle -- not the needle diamenter. So it is a little confusing. The KTM one is actually slightly thinner throughout then the (DR) OEM.

Also the KTM needle is slightly longer because it was designed to be used with the white spacer and an additional (KTM) washer under that, so I am assuming it would sit basically at the same height as the DR needle.

Edit: Just speculating here, but the additional metal washer/shim on the KTM may have been to protect the white spacer from wear because of the vibrations from the KTM motor. The extra weight of that washer (added to the overall slide weight) may have also contributed to the reason why the KTM slide had two lift holes, to optimize slide lift.

Rumlover screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:18 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote