View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,965
Big Bear (kinda)

Got up yesterday a tad bit later than I wanted due to a friend's 30th birthday party. No, didn't drink, but did stay kind of late, so I didn't get up until about 8 and took off for Big Bear about 9. Started on the slab for 80 miles (boring, but the slab does kind of relax when there is no traffic and you can wrap your head around it).

Took the 91 to the 15 to the 10 to the 215 and got off at Waterman, as I like going up that side of the mountain. Hadn't been up there for a few years and I used to live up there, so it was kind of nice going. Hit a gas station and they were open but were re-modelling so they had NO COFFEE! How dare they?

So, up to Crestline it was. Unlike going up Palomar, where tight decreasing radius turns are the rule of the day, Big Bear Mountain is full of big, fun sweepers a' plenty. Lots of fun, but do yourself a favor if you go there, get off at Waterman and go up that way. So much prettier and better curves!

Made it to Crestling and found a coffee house and, right across the street, this house

This was my the house that my buddy bought back in the 80's and I helped with a lot of the repairs. Going to the mountains and working/playing on the weekends was good therapy after the divorce. It's cool to see the little place still in good shape!

In the parking lot were a couple of cruisers. Now I'm not a cruiser dude to begin with and usually don't like that no paint rat rod look, but it worked on this one:

A picture of the coffee house sign. The iced coffee was bitchen' and it's definatelly worth the stop!

On the patio they had a cool glass top table with this as a base:

Just thought it was cool. Nest stop was Lake Gregory.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote