View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #42
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Gryphon, the '06/'07 KLX's were about the best 250 Japanese DS bike because they had 11" of travel to start with, and you can take all the Race Tech springs and Gold Valve kits for the KLX300 and install them. Then you slap on a 300, 331, or 351 cylinder with a full exhaust and TM36 pumper carb, and you have an extremely good streetable and dirt worthy bike with low maintenance and long term durability. With my aftermarket full Muzzy exhaust and ditching the stupidly heavy stock instrument panel for a Vapor unit, you're probably easily at or under 300 pounds of honest weight...with e-start. The problem with all this? If you're not a gearhead and don't do the more technical work on your bike, this is probably too expensive a pursuit on this bike to have all this work done for you. No, it's not a KTM, never will be, but it's an excellent true DS bike that is quite capable even in some gnarly off road conditions. I can live with this bike until the Freeride or something similar at that level comes out.

That 30 horsepower rating on the Freeride still indicates a highly understressed KTM engine IMO. The lack of a subframe isn't a deal breaker for me.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote