View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Hood River to San Francisco

Next day is spent organising, finding someone to take the bike back to SF at a reasonable price (BMW Roadside Assistance wanted over $3,000!), and getting Stefan back home to SF. That involved getting a local hire car to go to Portland, then pick up a Hertz hire car that could be taken back to SF one way, then go back to Hood River, drop off local hire car, etc, etc.

I had decided that discretion being the better part of valour, I would not be continuing down the dirt on my own for the rest of the trip, so I would take the scenic sight-seers trip down Highway 1 and 101 all the way down the coast.

Given that that didn't involved a lot of adventure riding, but did provide a lot of pleasure, I've only included a few photos of highlights below.

I did also pay a visit to the previous owner of the bike in Portland. He was very kind and put me up for a few nights while I organised UVP licences and did some work on the bike. I suspect he was a little disturbed by the condition of the bike, but he did his best to hide it. And I'm happy to say that when I cleaned it up before putting it on the container, it came up excellently.

The weather turned foggy and cold when I hit the coast,

but given that was the first bad weather I had had in 7 weeks in Canada and US, I really couldn't complain.

Created some lovely views looking down on the fog on the ocean from the road.

Luckily Stefan had told me about the Spruce Goose now being at the Evergreen Aviation museum at Mcminnville.

Great museum, and the spruce goose is just awesome, in the true sense of the word. More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-4_Hercules

Redwood National Park, CA.

The 'Big Tree' (or what's left of it) and the Valley of the Giants.

The Drive-Thru Tree.

Point Arena Lighthouse (most westerly point).

San Francisco and Golden Gate Bridge.

And most importantly, the launch of the iPhone 5.

And just to prove she scrubbed up ok, the bike ready to be loaded in the container.

That was a relief, getting it there intact.

We met lots of other riders, many of them Advriders, while on the WABDR, given the time of year we did it. Sorry I didn't take down names or photos, but good to meet you all. Thanks to all those who sent their best wishes to Stefan.

I was saddened to see that a large part of WABDR has been hit by massive fires in the last few weeks. It is a magical track, one I can thoroughly recommend if you have the time, and hopefully it will recover fully in the not too distant future.

It has also made me realise how much there still is to see over there, so let the planning begin for the next trip.

Cheers
Pete