View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
We tackle the High Lakes, CA!

For those of you not familiar with the High Lakes area here in Northern California, they are due east of Philbrook Lake, perched between Highways 32 and 70.
[IMG][/IMG]

This was my first ride with my new friend redog1, and my 3rd "big" ride ever. (I may have left the fact I just learned to ride a motorcycle in early August of this year out of the conversation until we were starting to hit the trail).. Short pause as he surveys the situation, "Well your young and that bike is light, you ready?" -You bet!

Leaving Magalia, we head towards Sterling City. 12 miles up the pavement I look up to see a faint dust cloud heading off onto a trail, I take pursuit for a few miles and come across a rather large water truck clammering down the trail in front of me. Knowing I just lost my guide I turn around to catch back up with him somewhere along the route. Not long to look and he finds me. Oh, not this trail? Inskip?, sounds good lets go.

Heading Right onto Brown's Ravine Road we meander back and forth around the hill, nice trail, note taken, will be back for sure. As we climb towards our destination, the reason we ride starts to become more clear, stress sheds, thoughts more colorful.

We slow to a stop for a quick pic, the first of our lakes. This one dries up part of the year.
[IMG][/IMG]

The trail gradually became more technical it seemed. Here redog1 negotiates with the first real dropoff on the route.
[IMG][/IMG]

Success!
[IMG][/IMG]

I believe this is a shot at Long Lake
[IMG][/IMG]

Insert random detour here:
[IMG][/IMG]

We had gotten through some pretty rocky and steep terrain up until this point, but about halfway through this particular patch, I realize if this was on our "to-do" list today, he would have told me. We meet back up at the bottom of this hill and sit staring at a very large wall of rock, with a tree off to the side as if to temp us, or to mock us!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote