View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
no one ever *needs* to lane split.
Have you even ridden in a city with 17,000,000 cars? Bikes overheat in 90F+ heat very quickly when stopped - so yes, bikes NEED to lane split in Los Angeles. The entire reason that it is legal in California is so that the CHP bikes wouldn't overheat in traffic.

Quote:

that proves nothing. the lead car can't begin to go until you are out of the way. so, obviously, the cars will not have cleared the crosswalk until after you are already gone.
again, you've never done it, you dont understand. Very rarely is the bike directly in front of the car. Because you came up between the cars, yes you are in front of the cars but still in between - therefore, never impede their forward motion. I can tell you that from the times I have stalled my XR650R and when the light turned green, the cars never had problems going around me while I was trying to kick start the dammed thing....

Quote:
at any rate, as i mentioned above. if your definition of "lane splitting" does not involved cutting back in line after skipping past people, then what i'm saying doesn't apply. but the version of "lane splitting" or "filtering" or, really "skipping line" that happens (from time to time, not a lot) around here does involve cutting back in line.

you can justify it however you want, but the bottom line is that going around people who are in a line and then cutting into the front of the line is skipping line. it means everyone else in the line has to wait a bit longer. that's the way lines...all lines...work.

also, as i said before, if it is just one bike and you are on the ball, it probably does not mean a car that would have made it through the light won't get through the light. but, if it does end up meaning a car that would have gotten through the light does not, then you are being a selfish a-hole.
When you are lane splitting, you are essentially using a different lane. You are virtually NEVER getting in the way of the cars and vice versa. Being in the middle, does not, impede traffic flow. I don't understand how you are coming up with these answers with zero experience.

Now.... let me end this post with a personal footnote.

One morning commuting to work I came to part of the road where it was too narrow for me to lane split. So I filed in with the rest of the cars....and then....

I could have very easily have been killed by this industrial lawn mower and why it was on Santa Monica Blvd., ill never know. Had I been lane splitting, I could have avoided this whole ordeal.

I was very lucky.

Now, had these guys been allowed to lane split, a bunch of innocent people would still be alive.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...nclick_check=1
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote