View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Bluhduh Maybe They Will Figure It Out.....

That was the word I got from them, right after they sold me a new PN-60. Had I known that it wasn't available, I probably would NOT have bought their GPS!

The unit comes with a USB cable, not my idea of rugged or weatherproof!

There seems to be a 'work around', I was directed to someone in vendors who manufactures a weatherproof USB socket, I ordered two this morning. It may be a while before I know how successful this is but at least I am more hopeful than I was of actually being able to use my GPS.

It seems nothing short of ludicrous to sell a GPS without any way to use mobile power in this day and age. DeLorme's estimate of 29 hours of battery life appears (in my limited usage) to be somewhat optimistic.In the winter I head south and use my (current Garmin) GPS about 5 days each week between the bike and boat, both are wired with mobile power cords (for Garmin). Delorme's answer to all things power seems to be rechargeable batteries, I'd be OK with that but I am camping 'off the grid' so make me a 12v charger please.

It wouldn't be as sucky a situation if they did not have their own proprietary 8 pin connector (like there was a need for 8 pins?)! Not much chance that anyone else will decide to make a cord with voltage reduction (to 5v) and that connector if DeLorme doesn't think it's worthwhile!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 08:03 AM Reason: more rant! better spelling
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote